Sunday, July 02, 2006

 

Are We Prudes?

During my weekend ruminations, I heard about the American television network, CBS, being fined by our ever-vigilent Federal Communications Commision an amount adding up to millions of dollars. The FCC's reasoning was that it received over 4,000 email complaints about the show (for more details, see here).

Apparently, every single one of the emails came from two so called "family advocacy" web sites. Many, if not all, of the emailers hadn't even seen the show. They just went to these sites that they frequented, and clicked a couple of buttons to send what basically amounted to a form letter to the FCC. Furthermore, the show in questions had actually aired previously without complaint. The difference? The first airing began at 10 pm. The second began at 9 pm. So the difference of one hour, according to the FCC, means the difference between permanently scarring the phyche of our youth or having them grow up pure and healthy.

It got me thinking, are we, as Americans, prudes?

I'd also like to ask those of my loyal readers who are not residents of the good ole U.S of A., is this a problem for your citizens? Are you shocked and shamed by brief glimpses of possible sex, or is sex just considered a part of a healthy lifestype?

Sometimes I wonder who actually lives in the fantasy world - myself, or those who purport to uphold "moral standards."

Other than that, I hope that your weekend was simply fantastic.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?