Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Frozen Out

Some days ago, I presented the preamble to a story where Angela introduced me to a spanko friend of hers and her husband. I had intended on posting chapters of the story every day or two throughout the past week. However, mother nature opted to intervene.

You see, like much of the country, our town has been lifted from it’s normal location in the Midwest and transported someplace above the Arctic Circle. It has been more than a week since we’ve seen a temperature above 10 degrees. Now, our house, the converted apple barn, has a somewhat complex heating system that combines natural gas, electricity, and solar panels in an attempt at efficiency. Please do not ask me to explain further because I cannot. Suffice to say, we are able to keep our home at an even, comfy 66 degrees and keep our heating bills below a million dollars per month.

Thanks to the brutal cold, one of the solar panels cracked. This caused the electric system to be over-stressed. Were the temperatures closer to the refrigerator than the deep freeze, this would have blow a fuse or two. However, the system was running so hard that the computer unit that regulates the whole mess shorted out, and some of the motors on the fans that help to maintain even temperature became overloaded and thus died horrible, screaming deaths. Basically, during the coldest week of the year, we were left without heat.

Fortunately, we were able to retreat to the guest house, which has a more conventional gas, forced-air furnace that works fine. Unfortunately, after living in a big, old barn, a 1200-square-foot house makes it seem like we are living in greyhound bus. Furthermore, before we could take up residence there, I had to remove all of my tools, since I often use the guest house as a workshop. We also had to make all of the spanking toys stored there scarce so as not to allow them to be seen by Colette. Having a pair of house cats, I’ve also had to make sure that their feeding, watering, and toilet needs are taken care of. Naturally, Wacky, the dog, has decided that it is too cold to go outside to do his business, so I have to drag him out on a leash and wait for him to finish several times a day. The worst thing about the whole ordeal is that I have had to (gasp!) drive in to work every day for a week since the guest house does not have a suitable office. I even had to miss Maribel’s basketball game last Saturday, which made me quite cranky indeed.

Since Angela and I frequently use the guest house as a spanking retreat, we have been forced to put a kibosh on such activities. So my authoring time has been limited due to a lack of time (as I attempt to secure repairs to our heating system) and a lack of privacy (Colette has decided that, to save heat, she will spend all of her time at home wrapped up in blankets with her mother and myself).

Fear not, my loyal readers. Relief is not far off. Repairs will commence tomorrow, so I will have to stay home to supervise. After the electrical system in the house is bolstered (which I am assured will be completed in the morning), I shall be allowed to run a small space heater, so I will be able to return to my home office. I’ll be able to catch up on my journaling, at least when the repairmen are not looking. So it will be not more than another day or two before you will be able to enjoy yourself as I regale you with yet another fantastic spanking tale.

Comments:
That sounds horrible and cold! Sending warm wishes your way from CA (where it hasn't been nearly that cold!) and I can't wait for your next entry. =)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?