Friday, March 09, 2007

 

The Dancing Spankos

The sands of time seem to be falling faster than I can catch them. It seems that a full week has gone by without my adding to my little piece of the internet. During that time, much has taken place in the Spakowiak residence.

First of all, Maribel’s college basketball team finished second in her conference tournament. As a result, her team received an “at large” bid to the NCAA Division II tournament. Since the Division I tournament is often called “the big dance,” when Maribel called with the news, I referred to her division’s championship as “the little dance.” Maribel promptly informed me that “the little dance” was reserved for the really small schools, like those classified as NCAA Division III, NAIA, etc. Their tournament, she told me, should be called the “not-quite-as-big dance.” For that, I stand corrected.

Now, the difficult thing about the “not-quite-as-big dance” is that, rather than playing two rounds per week, they play the first three rounds in four days. The first round is today, the second is tomorrow, and the third is Monday. The games are played at “campus sites,” which are the home courts for the top eight seeded teams. Maribel’s team was seeded ninth, so she has to travel. We did not know this until last Monday, so since then we have been scrambling to make arrangements to be there to watch her.

Secondly, Angela’s back problems have become worse again. She’s informed her employer that she will be taking a leave of absence until her back improves. Since her back pain has made it difficult for her to walk, she’s been staying mostly in bed, so when she needs anything, your’s truly gets summoned to fetch. I do this gladly, however when she wishes to summon me, she bellows “FRAN-CIS!” repeatedly until I respond. As I work from home, this can be problematic when I happen to be on the telephone on a business call.

I was afraid that Angela would have to miss Maribel’s tournament games, but my darling wife informed me that she would be there even if it meant perching her casket at courtside. Since I didn’t care for that extreme, I rented a van and a wheelchair so that she would be more comfortable.

So that we could get an early start, Angela’s best friend, Bernie, stayed at our place last (Thursday) night, since she shall be accompanying us. Being an athlete and a police woman, Bernie is in terrific physical shape and is well capable of assisting my ailing wife. So Bernie is on Angela duty, I am on driving duty, and Colette is on direction duty, which she is very good at.

So it is likely that, as you read this, we will either be waiting for Maribel’s second game, or, although the event is likely, returning home lamenting a first round loss. All of this activity has left me completely exhausted and utterly unspanked. More’s the pity. But the excitement of the possibility that my eldest daughter can be a champion has me practically giddy. At least Maribel gets to work off her nervous energy on the basketball court. I have just sit and watch. And cheer like a maniac. It should be a fantastic game.

Comments:
Shame on Angela! Having suffered from back problems myself, I will put my two cents worth in. For most back problems, lying in bed is the worst thing one can do. Get her up and moving and doing for herself, within reason! If it is hurting that bad, tell her to get to her imaginary doctor.
Best wishes,
Kallisto
 
My dearest Kallisto -

Rest assured, I make sure that Angela sees the doctor regularly. As for the lying in bed part, we have a very expensive adjustable bed that allows her to take the pressure off of the bad parts of her back (doctor approved). And my dear wife is not prone to idleness. If anything, when her back acts up, she needs to rest more, not try to re-arrange furniture.

I thank you for your concern ... it is most kind.

Regards,
Frank
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?