Monday, November 26, 2007

 

Almost Back To Normal

After a long weekend of basketball and driving, the Spakowiak family is back home, ready to return to the mundane business of everyday life. As you know, our eldest, Maribel, and her college basketball team were participating in an holiday (yes, an holiday) tournament in the great state of South Dakota. We opted to drive since it would probably have taken longer to get there by airplane, given the state of today’s airlines.

After handily winning their first game, in which my daughter the star played brilliantly, on Friday Maribel picked up two fouls in the first four minutes of the second game and went to the bench for the next ten minutes, during which time her team fell behind by 16 points. Maribel returned and promptly scored seven points, but then picked up her third foul. She encountered more foul issues in the second half, fouled out with 8 minutes to go, and her team lost 68-60. After the game Maribel went into the locker room and kicked over a table. She gets that from her mother.

The following day Maribel’s team played for third place, which they succeeded in taking, 86 - 69. Maribel only had 12 points, but she had 8 assists, 12 rebounds, and basically made the other team look bad. And she had no fouls.

Immediately after the tournament championship, Maribel and her mates had to catch their chartered plane back to school, so we decided that, since we had a long drive ahead of us, we’d get a head start and find a motel to stop at after four or five hours on the road. We ended up staying on Iowa, which is not the worst place in the world to spend a Saturday night, even if all of the college kids were still gone for the holiday and even if it is 20 degrees.

We finished the drive on Sunday, travelling through unrelenting slush. There is nothing that I can think of doing that is more fun than driving through Iowa on a gray, crappy day. That is, if nothing means everything. But we made it home, and now I am ensconced in my warm, dry office, doing what I do best, and that is typing.

Okay, I’m doing what I do second best. With luck, I might get to do what I do best tomorrow whilst Colette is at school. And I’ll get to do it to Angela’s butt. And maybe have it done to mine. Which, as far as I’m concerned, is fantastic.


The next entry to this here site will be a resumption of my latest tall tale regarding the weekend I spent with a young lady who was discovering her spanko preferences.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?