Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

The Bet

As all of my loyal readers know, my eldest daughter, Maribel, is the greatest female basketball player in the world.

Or, at least, so thinks her father. After all, he taught her everything he knew about the game.

OK, time for a reality check. Which is a curious thing for an imaginary blogger to state.

In reality, or at least in my reality, Maribel is a fine basketball player. She is a university senior, and is co-captain of her school team. Her school plays at the NCAA Division II level, which is not where the big boys … or rather … the big girls play, but is nonetheless a high level of competition. This year, she is the leading scorer and rebounder on her team, and her team is favored to win her conference this season. Their team is good enough that they have already defeated a bigger, Division I school this season by twenty points. Now, that school is fielding their first varsity-level women’s basketball team, but a win is a win. In addition, Maribel’s school had never beaten a D-I school before.

On the weekend between Christmas and New Years, Maribel’s team will play the Big State University. Last year when these two teams played, Big State won by 30 points or so.

That was last year, when Big State had an all-conference center, who has since graduated.

This year, Big State is not as talented as last year, and Maribel’s team is better. Much better. And last year, as you may recall, Maribel’s team advanced to the third round of the D-II tournament. They have spent their time since, with impressive focus, working towards two goals. One if the reach the Final Four of the championship tournament.

The second is to beat Big State University.

Bernie, Angela’s best friend and an excellent basketball talent in her own right (she was all-conference twice in college) was over for lunch. We were discussing Maribel’s basketball fortunes. Bernie commented that would be a good experience for Maribel’s team to play Big State U., but that they would likely be beaten badly again.

“Not so fast,” I retorted. “Maribel and her mates are playing better than they ever have. They have a complete game both on offense and defense. And Big State is struggling. They’ll be looking past Maribel’s team and to the start of their conference season. Maribel’s team has been pointing to this game as one they really want to win. And I think they will.”

Bernie snorted. “Big State is bigger, faster and stronger than Maribel’s school. They simply play at a different level. I doubt that the score will even be close.”

I continued to argue my case. “They may have some better players, but they are not a better team. Besides, they don’t have anyone who can shoot as well as Amber Mason (the other co-captain on Maribel’s team), and they don’t have anyone as strong as Maribel. We’ll beat Big State this year.”

Bernie snorted. “All right,” she said, “I’ll tell you what. If Maribel’s team beats Big State, I’ll let you spank me!”

It was my turn to snort. It does need to be mentioned that Bernie is well aware of the spanko tendencies of Angela and me, so this wager was not entirely out of the blue. However, Bernie does not share them, so her challenge was still a surprise.

Intrigued, and without a better response, I asked, “What kind of spanking?”

“Bare bottom,” she answered. “With one of your paddles or straps or whatever you usually use on your lovely wife over there.”

Angela chimed in. “That sounds like a bet,” she offered. “If Maribel win’s, Frank gets to spank Bernie. And if Big State wins, Bernie spanks Frank.”

So it was agreed. I have officially put my butt on the line, such is the faith I have in my daughter’s athletic ability and the skills of her teammates. Angela will officiate, making sure that the loser gets the appropriate number of whacks and that no one overly abused.

Even though Bernie is a dear friend, it shall be a pleasure to spank her. She needs to learn that Frank Spanko is the authority when it comes to the basketball prowess of his daughter and her team. And if I have to deliver that message via her butt, then that is what I shall do.

I may even sell tickets.

Wouldn’t that be fantastic.

The game is scheduled for Saturday, December 29. Check back to following day for the results of the game and the spanking.

Comments:
I will be waiting to hear the results!
Kallisto
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?