Wednesday, February 13, 2008

 

A Non-Spanking Update

Yes, I do know that this is a spanking blog, but even we imaginary spanko have lives beyond spanking. So today I thought I’d relay some non-spanking information from the Spanko household, mainly the state of my daughter’s basketball team.

Two of my most favorite things in the world are my family and college basketball. So when my eldest daughter, Maribel, showed an aptitude for the hardcourt, and she made her college basketball team, I couldn’t have been happier. Now that she’s a senior, she’d a star. She plays for a Division II school, which means you will never see highlights of her game on SportsCenter. But she has become a great player. She is currently leading her team in scoring and rebounds, and she leads her conference in rebounds, shooting percentage, and free-throw shooting.

Her team made it through the non-conference portion of the season with three losses, one in a tournament of other top DII teams, and one against the Big State University, which I have earlier described. They are now twelve games into their conference season, and they are 11 and 1. They have won four games by more than twenty points, one of them by more than 30. They are a shoo-in for the post-season tournament. I was able to talk to a couple of coaches from their opponents, and they told me that Maribel’s team was perhaps the best that they have played all season.

I wanted to see every game of Maribel’s this season in person, both the home and road games, this being her last season. Unfortunately, the weather, my health, et cetera, have caused me to see fewer games than even last season. Fortunately, her school is advanced enough technologically that they stream video broadcasts of all of their games over the internet. So at least I’ve been able to still see her play, albeit over cyberspace.

Last year Maribel’s team just missed being one of the last eight teams in big tournament. This year I’m hoping for better things. Their goal is a championship, and they are focused and driven.

The scary part is that, after the tournament, Maribel will graduate in two months. It will be time for her to join the real world. Basketball will no longer be able to consume her life. Yes, she may be good enough to get a tryout on a women’s professional basketball team, either here or abroad, but if she does not latch on she’ll have to move on past sport. I’ve watched her play since grade school, so not having her on a team anymore will be odd.

Beyond hoops, I do not know what Maribel’s career interests lie. She’s getting a degree in physical education and teaching, so coaching may be in her future. I know that she has expressed interest in Bernie’s vocation, which is law enforcement. But she has worked so hard at reaching her basketball potential that I don’t think that she’s thought much past that.

Father’s worry. But then I think that Maribel is not one to sit around and not be busy. There is plenty of room in the barnhouse, so she’s welcome to move back in with us. She’ll be twenty-two when she graduates, so she does not have to hurry to find a profession. Truth be told, it will be nice to have her around the house as an adult. I can’t speak for Angela, but I have finished being a father to Maribel.

Yes, I know, you never really stop being a father. But I don’t need to raise her anymore. She’s all growed up, as they say. I’m content to be her friend and confidante. If she wants my advice, I’ll be glad to impart it, but I don’t need to force it upon her anymore. She’ll make her own decisions, her own mistakes. I’ll offer my support and whatever help I can, if I can and if she asks. Otherwise, I shall simply try to enjoy her company.

I’ll stop ruminating now. Perhaps I shall seek out Angela and find an excuse to spank her. Or for her to spank me. So that I have something to write about. Something fantastic to write about.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?