Monday, July 07, 2008

 

A Spanko Takes A Trip

The Fourth Of July weekend has just passed, and that can only mean one thing at the Spanko villa: basketball. Now, basketball is often played at our residence on a holiday, but today the game is the focus of our attention. There are two reasons for this.

Reason one is that Maribel’s game against the U.S. Women’s Olympic Basketball Team is less than two weeks away, and Maribel is spending all of her time training for the game. Her team met and practices Wednesday and Thursday, and now she is home and working on her game in the driveway. Against me. Maribel says she likes shooting against me because I’m taller than her so it gives her good practice against a bigger opponent. I think she’s just trying to show off.

Maribel also discovered that, although she will not be paid for her participation, she will receive compensation of a sort. Apparently, because of her help in organizing this warm-up game for the Lady Olympic Hoop Team, my daughter has been offered a chance to accompany them to China.

My daughter is going to the Olympics.

So she is even more intent in playing well when she plays the Olympians. So she is working even harder in preparing for the game. The harder she prepares, the harder she wants her training partners to work with her. And her primary training partner is me. Dear Old Dad. With emphasis in “Old.”

But I’ll do anything for my children. And I’ll do anything to help them go to the Olympics.

My daughter is going to the Olympics. Now, that is simply fantastic.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?