Sunday, March 08, 2009

 

Odds and Ends

The nice thing about being a computer programmer is that companies almost always need good, experienced computer programmers.

The problem with being a computer programmer is that companies almost always consider computer programmers to be overhead. So, when business slows down, companies look to reduce overhead. Therefore, since computer programmers are overhead, companies will look to reduce the number of computer programmers that they employ.

Right now, business is slow all over. Perhaps slow is not the word. After seven years of the George W. Bush's reckless, credit-induced economic expansion, people are now having to stop spending and pay off the bills. Many are also (gasp!) even trying to save a few dollars. Since most businesses depend on selling something, and since no one is buying, business is almost non-existent

This concludes the Fantastic Spanking Lesson in Economics.

The reason that I mention this is because, since I am a computer programmer, the rumors are almost constant that some or all of my ilk at our client may be released from our responsibilities. Indeed, several whose projects concluded are no longer employed since our client has not initiated any new projects for them to roll on to, and my company did not find any other clients for them to work for (not that they tried very hard). My project is scheduled to conclude at the end of April, and, although there will still be considerable work to do in the area, there are questions as to whether the client will have the money to pay for it. As a result, my job is in jeopardy.

Fortunately, this is really nothing new. There have been rumors and actual reductions aplenty over the last decade or so, and, while I have survived them all, I have always prepared myself for life after my current employer. So now is no different. I have made some contacts, kept my resume up to date, saved a little money, and planned my farewell email. I have taken some training classes in new technologies. And, I could use some time off. So the prospect of unemployment isn't all that scary. It would give me the opportunity to do some maintenance around the house, catch up on my reading, visit some friends, and exchange a few spankings with Angela.

More spankings with Angela? What could be more fantastic than that?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?